As you begin curating the perfect new wardrobe for back-to-school, you look in the mirror and realize you may be overlooking one of your best accessories…your smile. Perhaps you were a bit lax in brushing over the summer, and one too many iced lattes took their toll on your pearly whites. In fact, a study by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry found that whiter teeth are what people want to improve most about their smiles. The biggest enamel staining culprits include:
- Food & Beverages: Intense pigments, called chromogens, are found in many popular food and beverages such as coffee, soda, certain fruits and even some sauces. They attach themselves to the white outer part of your teeth and leave stains of varying degrees over time.
- Medications: Your teeth can darken due to taking various medications, including antihistamines, antipsychotics and high blood pressure medications. If you were exposed to antibiotics like tetracycline and doxycycline when your teeth were forming, it might result in discoloration of your adult teeth later in life.
- Tobacco: Tobacco use leads to a host of issues, the least of which is adding staining your teeth. Tar and nicotine, the chemicals found in tobacco, create stubborn stains. While tar is naturally dark, nicotine is colorless until it’s mixed with oxygen. Then, it turns into a yellowish, surface-staining substance.
- Aging: Dentin is the softer area that sits below the enamel, the hard, white outer shell of your teeth. As the outer enamel layer gets thinner over time due to brushing, more of the yellowish dentin shows through.
Aside from routine cleanings, the team at Beulah Family Dentistry also offers several options to help you regain that beautiful bright smile again. The KöR Teeth Whitening system effectively lifts stains from natural teeth with both take-home and in-office versions. Benefits to the KöR system include:
- Professional-grade products that are more effective than over-the-counter brands without needing to schedule several visits to our office.
- Proven results with less sensitivity than comparable products.
- Far less tooth sensitivity because this whitening system doesn’t require the use of lasers or bleaching lights.
Whether you prefer to take home your teeth whitening product or would rather receive the treatment in our office, let the professionals at Beulah Family Dentistry get your smile back to school ready! Call us today at 850.706.5688 or complete our online appointment request form to schedule a visit.